Wednesday, August 12, 2015

End The Stigma; one year without Robin Williams

It hit me this morning that today marks one year without Robin Williams and our life. I've had a very trying past few nights trying to sleep while dealing with panic attacks, jitteriness, and overall anxiety. Do I reach out to anybody? No. Why? Likely, because of the stigma attached with this. It still has not ended.

I've suffered from anxiety and panic disorder for more than 12 years. For many years I was very quiet about the issue. I felt as if I were a failure. I thought something was wrong with me. I thought nobody else would understand.

I wonder if that is how Robin Williams felt…

So many people deal with the same thing and yet there afraid to speak out.

In the past year I've learned about helpful resources such as the semicolon project. Do we really want to have our story? Or do we just want to take a pause?

For me, I just need a pause. Sometimes, life just gets too overwhelming. They anxiety is full force and I feel like nobody understands. I've lost virtually all my friends in real life. I hate to reach out to virtual friends as I have afraid of losing them as well. It's sad but it's true.


So, on the anniversary of losing this wonderful comedian and actor I have to wonder if he would've been helped if he spoke out…

I'm speaking it out! I'm raising my voice! Yes, I suffer from anxiety and panic disorder. Yes, I suffer from lupus. This does not make me weak. On the contrary, I think we are some of the strongest people in the world.

Raise your voice, be heard, and speak out. Let's end the stigma. We are not crazy. We are strong. We are warriors fighting our own internal battle. Sometimes we need soldiers to help us along the way. That does not make us weak. 

Just remember that there's someone else out there just like you huddled under the blankets, crying, shaking, and needing a few more soldiers on their side.

Try to lend an ear. It will help more than you know.

1 comment: