Saturday, July 18, 2015

Instagram bans "curvy". Is this hidden fat shaming?

By most of the world standards I am that. I'm OK with that. But, I like to describe myself as curvy. I was so shocked a couple days ago but I tried to use that #on Instagram and it had been removed. After a little investigation I saw that they state: they removed it because it was associated with nudity. Now I may be in a rocket scientist but how about removing words like nude, nudity, labia, vagina, etc.

They kept hashtags like skinny, thin, fatso, fatty, fatbitch but remove the # for curvy. Honestly, I'm appalled that Instagram is using this excuse to take down pictures of gorgeous curvy women. I really think it has nothing to do with nudity or I feel that they would remove words like nude. If they took down all those words I would understand. But, they did. Only one word was removed: #curvy

Most larger women and men have been bullied, shamed, and teased off and on all their lives. Is this another way that such a big social media platform is hiding the fact that sometimes we are embracing ourselves now. We are finally learning to love ourselves and stand up for ourselves! Without the removal of the other derogatory terms I have to think this is the case. I am disappointed and sad.

Honestly, it's only been in the past few months that I've started to embrace myself. Could I stand a lose a few pounds? Sure! Am I going to try to kill myself to do it, no!

I am #curvy and I love myself.

Look at my YouTube name! That was made months and months before any controversy. I've been the Curvy Nerd for almost a year.

I'm seriously thinking of making a YouTube video explaining my thoughts on the subject to Instagram. Honestly, I'm sure they will never see it. But, maybe it will inspire others to fight back.

We are beautiful whether we are thin, skinny, fat, curvy, etc. Beauty is about the person inside and outside mixed. It's not just appearance.

Instagram is setting a very startling and scary precedence especially for the younger audience.

They have kept words like anorexia, pro anorexia, let's get skinny, fatso, etc.

They have made their selves heard. It's time that we fight back. #bringcurvyback #curvee


No comments:

Post a Comment