Thursday, July 30, 2015

PCOS - PCOS is more than just cystic ovaries

At 22 years old you don't expect to be told you will likely never have a child. I had just gotten married, went for a check up, and got the shocking news!!

Not only did I have Lupus (which would make me a high-risk pregnancy) but I had PCOS;  for polycystic ovarian syndrome. It was a curse!!


Not only what I deal with the horrible physical symptoms such as painful cramping, horrible PMS, IBS that went out of control before periods etc. but I also have to deal with the horrible that affected me feeling like complete woman. 

Not only what I most likely be infertile…

But, I'd have to endure painful methods of hair removal or be the woman with a beard!

Not only what I have to shave, epilate, use depilatory etc. 

But I'd likely never have the pleasure of being a mother

I thought I could defy the odds. I've been pregnant three times. Each time has ended in a miscarriage. Somewhere, up in heaven, I have three angels.

Mother's Day is like torture for me!

PMS is a cake walk; welcome to PMDD. 

Premenstrual Dysmorphic Disorder

This was not just painful periods. This was not just feeling weepy or a few mood swings. This makes you feel like everything is topsy-turvy. Your body betrays you. For me, IBs reeks havoc on my stomach along with gut wrenching cramps that I always say feel like someone is trying to dig out my uterus with a spoon. 

My face becomes like a pizza again.

My moods are horrible. They reach the lowest of lows.

You'd think all this was enough. You would think the physical pain, the embarrassment, etc. was enough. You think never being able to have a child was enough. 

But, I recently learned the other risks:

Women with PCOS are 50% my likely to have diabetes or prediabetes by the age 40
Women with PCOS have higher incidence of cardiovascular disease
Women with PCOS are more likely to have certain cancers of the female organs 

So, not only do we suffer from insulin resistance, being overweight, being excessively hairy, pain, mood swings, etc.

We also suffers from empty wombs! We cry on our pillows at night. Some of us have never gotten pregnant. Some of us have Angel babies. 

More research needs to be done. There needs to be a cure. There needs to be better treatments. There are a lot of us. Let's make our voices heard!

Can you tell who is going with cramps, pain, and mood swings tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment